In Windows 10 you can access the bootrec.exe utility by using your original installation media: DVD or USB drive.
If you can’t boot into your Windows 10 system or don’t have the original installation disc, use Easy Recovery Essentials and run Command Prompt. Download Easy Recovery Essentials and burn it to any CDs, DVDs or USBs.
If you have the installation disc (DVD, USB)
Instructions on how to access bootrec.exe with the installation disc (DVD or USB media) in Windows 10:
- Insert the Windows 10 DVD or USB
- Reboot the system
- Press any key at the “Press any key to boot” message
- Click Repair your computerOr press R.
- Select Troubleshoot, then select Command Prompt
- When Command Prompt appears, simply type the necessary commands:bootrec /FixMbr
- Press Enter after each command
- When you are finished with Command Prompt, type
exit, press Enter and remove the DVD/USB from the drive
If you don’t have the installation disc (DVD, USB)
If you don’t have the original disc, you can either boot to System Recovery Options and select Command Prompt or use Easy Recovery Essentials and run Command Prompt (you can burn EasyRE to any CDs, DVDs or USBs).
Instructions on how to access bootrec.exe without the installation disc in Windows 10:
- Reboot the system
- Press Shift and F8 quicklyShift + F8 doesn’t always work, as reported by some users. If this is the case for your system, consider using Easy Recovery Essentials to run Command Prompt – details below this section of steps.
- At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot
- Select Command Prompt
- When Command Prompt opens, type the commands:bootrec /FixMbr
- Hit Enter
Instructions if you use Easy Recovery Essentials:
- Download Easy Recovery Essentials
- Burn the ISO Image. Follow our instructions on how to burn a bootable ISO image. If you’d like to have a recovery USB instead, follow our instructions on how to make a recovery USB.
- Boot Easy Recovery Essentials from the CD, DVD or USB
- Select Launch Command Line